Commission 2019: Calls for Expressions of Interest
Commission Opportunity: Galway City Council Arts Office & Galway Music Residency.
Galway City Council Arts Office in partnership with the Galway Music Residency invite expressions of interest for a commission for the Galway ConTempo Quartet. It is intended that this new work will be premiered within the Galway Music Residency’s Music & Musings concert series in Autumn 2019.
Context for this commission:
In 2017, the Galway Music Residency, in association with the Contemporary Music Centre, launched a new concert series entitled Music & Musings. This series aims to present Galway audiences with new music of the highest quality, (from Ireland and from the contemporary canon internationally) in an informal yet intimate setting, promoting discussion with musicians, composers and audience members. The inaugural series in 2017 featured the Galway ConTempo quartet, composers Kevin Volans, Amanda Feery and Jane O’Leary and guest artist Pádraic Keane (Uilleann pipes). Of particular importance in November 2017 was the world premiere of Amanda Feery’s new work for String Quartet and Uilleann Pipes Something Like Light But Not, which was co-commissioned by the Galway City Council Arts Office and Galway Music Residency in 2016. A second series in Summer 2018 featuring ConTempo and composers Ian Wilson and Deirdre McKay was incredibly well received, demonstrating an appetite for new and adventurous music in Galway.
Music & Musings is now in long-term development to provide an important musical resource to the people of Galway. A vital part of this development will be the commissioning of new works to be featured in the series. Galway City Council Arts Office, in partnership with Galway Music Residency commissioned a new work for the upcoming Autumn 2018 series, awarded to Greg Caffrey earlier this year.
Galway City Council Arts Office and Galway Music Residency now wish to commission an additional new work for string quartet and optional additional instrument, to be performed by the Galway ConTempo Quartet during the Autumn 2019 series.
In addition to the 2018 commission and this 2019 commission, Galway City Council Arts Office in partnership with Galway Music Residency will make a further call for expressions of interest for new works, for commission in 2020. This call will take place in 2019.
Galway City Council Arts Office and the Galway Music Residency invite expressions of interest which outline creative ideas for the following:
- a new work for string quartet and optional additional instrument of 8-12 minutes duration, for performance by the Galway ConTempo Quartet (and guest artist if applicable) during the autumn 2019 Music & Musings concert series
Composers must submit the following by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Friday5th October 2018. (please put ConTempo in the subject heading):
- two recent scores (including one for small ensemble including strings, if possible) (pdf only)
- two recordings, if possible (wav, mp3)
- a C.V. to include details of performances of past works
- a short paragraph outlining your interest in the commission and approach to this new work (max300 words)
Notes for applicants:
- This work seeks to celebrate the Galway Music Residency and ConTempo Quartet, and will be presented in the unique atmosphere of the Music & Musings concert series, which aims to engage audiences with new music from Ireland and abroad.
- The finished work (full score & parts) should be submitted to Galway Music Residency by 1 October 2019.
- The first performance will be given by the Galway ConTempo Quartet and arranged by the Galway Music Residency.
- The commission fee will be appropriate to the CMC/AIC commissioning guidelines.
- The cost of an optional additional performer will be covered by the Galway Music Residency/Galway City Council Arts Office.
- The composer retains copyright in relation to the work.
- A copy of the score must be lodged with the Contemporary Music Centre.
- Expressions of interest are open to composers who were born in, or are now a resident of, the island of Ireland.
- Expressions of interest will not be accepted after the deadline and the decision of the selection panel is final.
- Previously commissioned composers for this project are not eligible to apply again.
- The Composer selected for the 2019 commission will be informed by Thursday 25 October 2018.
Galway City Council Arts Office is the Local Authority Arts Service for the City of Galway. Through policy and programming, the Arts Office develops contemporary creative arts practice in the city for the benefit of the artists, citizens and communities of Galway.
The Galway Music Residency creates a diverse range of experiences for the people of Galway, presenting opportunities for all to discover the joy of music through meaningful interaction with inspiring musicians. At the heart of the programme is the inspirational Galway Ensemble in Residence, ConTempo Quartet.
The commissioning process will be managed by the Contemporary Music Centre, the all-island resource for the documentation, development and promotion of new music from Ireland, on behalf of Galway City Council Arts Office and the Galway Music Residency.
For further information on this commission, contact Susan Brodigan (email@example.com) at the Contemporary Music Centre: or 00 353 (0)1 6731922.